Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
>> That is only a "finite, terminating algorithm" if the list is finite.
>> Since the only input to the algorithm is the desired precision, your
>> recipe only works if you can embed the list into the algorithm.

> No. You could level the same argument against Cantor's original proof.

No you couldn't, as it makes no assumption of any finite algorithm.
Only *your* alteration of Cantor's proof assumes any sort of finite
algorithm, as it is required for the definition of "computable real".

> For a number to be computable, it must be able to be calculated to
> any required degree of accuracy (according to the definition we have
> just both agreed on). This is obviously true of the anti-diagonal.

Only if the list is computable, which Cantor's proof does not require.

> Cantor provides an explicit algorithm for constructing (computing)
> the anti-diagonal.

No, the proof only provides an algorithm fragment. A full algorithm
for a computable real must take the precision as input, and nothing
else. The constructive portion of Cantor's proof takes an infinite
list of real numbers as "input", and so is not a valid algorithm for a
computable real.

>> If not, how does this differ from "suppose L is a list of real
>> numbers. Is antidiag(L) computable?"

> Because there is an algorithmic procedure for calculating the
> anti-diagonal to any required degree of accuracy.

If you are given L, you say you can compute antidiag(L) regardless of
what L is. If you are given x, can you not compute x+1 regardless of
what x is? By your argument, does this not mean that x+1 is always a
computable real?

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules