Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-19, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> After all, I am trying to make my proof exactly the same as
>> Cantor's, but with the only difference being the word "computable"
>> in front of the word "Real".

> If you intend your proof to be "exactly the same as Cantor's, but with
> the only difference being the word "computable" in front of the word
> "Real"", it must start with a conditional introduction. In other
> words, something like:
>
> "Suppose that L is a list of computable Reals. That is, L is a
> function from N to R and for all n in N, there exists a Turing
> Machine T_n such that when provided with k as input, T_n halts and
> outputs the k'th decimal digit of L(n)."

That's not how Cantor's proof starts.

It starts with a list of Real numbers where the nth digit of the nth term is
known for all n.

> You can continue the proof from here if you like.

Or, I could use exactly the same logic as used by Cantor. Indeed, if I want
to prove that Cantor's proof does not in of itself prove that Reals are
uncountable, I have to follow his proof exactly. Which is what I have done.

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie