Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Explain to me how my requirements for the input list of all
> computable Reals is different to Cantor's requirements for the input
> list of all Reals, other than the requirement that every item on the
> list is computable?

It is not. Your error comes later.

Cantor's proof includes a construction taking a list L and defining an
antidiagonal real antidiag(L) from it. Your error is supposing that
this construction is a finite algorithm fitting the definition of
"computable real". It is not. By stretching the definition of
"algorithm" somewhat, it can be supposed to be an algorithm accepting
finite input n and infinite input L, and producing the n'th
antidiagonal digit. This is a stretch since algorithms are normally
not supposed to have infinite inputs.

However, there is no way that you can then prove the existence of a
finite algorithm accepting only the *finite* input n and producing the
n'th antidiagonal digit.

> (in more modern terminology) that there is no recursively enumerable
> mapping

Once again, "recursively enumerable" is an introduction purely of your
own invention. It is not present in Cantor's proof, it is not present
in a modern recasting of Cantor's proof, it has no relevance at all to
Cantor's proof. Cantor's proof applies to *every* mapping from N to R.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie