Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Owen Jacobson

On 2010-06-18 03:56:21 -0400, Peter Webb said:

> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

>> On 2010-06-18, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> If you can construct a list of all computable numbers (which you
>>> can't), then Cantor's diagonal proof will construct a number not on
>>> the list. And that number is definitely computable, because there is
>>> a simple algorithm for producing it. Take the nth digit of the nth
>>> item on the list

>> That requires having the list be computable or provided as input,
>> neither of which is assumed or proven.
>>

> Cantor's proof that there can be no list of all Reals also requires the
> list to be provided first.
>
> The form of the proof is identical - you give me a purported list of
> all Reals with some property, and I prove the existence of at least one
> Real which has that property which is not on the list, thus proving the
> list did not contain all numbers with that property. Cantor used the
> property "is Real", I used the property "is computable".
>

>> Rest snipped as it is based on your false premise.
>>

>> - Tim

> If you believe that you can list all computable numbers, you are
> welcome to try and do so. Its a pointless exercise, as I can always
> form a computable Real not on the list, but try anyway.

Pick a Gödel numbering scheme for the Turing machines. Then, given this
scheme, the list of computable reals[0] is very simple: the n'th
element of the list is the real produced by the real-computing Turing
machine[1] with the n'th lowest Gödel number (so the 0th element of the
list is the real produced by the lowest-numbered machine, the 1st
element of the list is the real produced by the next-lowest-numbered
machine, and so on). Determining whether a Turing machine computes a
real is not a computable problem, but that does not prevent such a list
from existing.

The antidiagonal of this list differs from every computable number, and
there is a simple and effective algorithm for computing it *given the
list*, but to show a contradiction you'd still have to prove that this
number is computable in exactly sense [0] below. This is (likely)
impossible, as this list itself is uncomputable, and the list can
neither be embedded in a Turing machine's transition function[2]
directly nor stored on the tape[3].

More formal definitions of "computable number" would make the necessary
step in proving your argument even harder.

-o

[0] A real is computable if and only if there is a Turing machine that
computes it[1].

[1] A Turing machine computes a real r if and only if, starting with an
encoding of some natural number m on its tape, it halts with an
encoding of the m'th digit of r on the tape.

[2] Keeping in mind that a Turing machine has finitely many states Q
and finitely many symbols L, the image of the transition function
contains at most |Q| * |L| elements -- far too few to encode an
infinite list of reals.

[3] At every step, a Turing machine has only finitely-many non-blank
cells on the tape -- far too few to encode an infinite list of reals.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb