Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
>> Where is the phrase "provided in advance" used in the proof?
>
> Because Cantor's proof requires us to know the nth digit of the nth
> item on the list.

No, it just requires that the list L (a mathematical object) be of the
type that an n'th digit of the n'th item *exists*.

> Indeed Cantor's proof starts with a list

No, Cantor's proof starts with a conditional assumption that some
mathematical object *is* a list.

> If you don't what is on the list already, you cannot possibly prove
> that some Real is missing.

Now it looks like your deficiency might be in knowing what a proof in
predicate logic is. You don't need a separate proof for each list,
each one based on the contents of that list. You have a single proof
that there does not exist a mathematical entity satisfying the
definition of a surjective mapping from natural numbers to reals.

> My proof is *exactly* the same, except for inserting the word
> "computable" in front of Real.

And therefore deficient as making that textual substitution leaves a
gap between Cantor's proof that antidiag(L) is a real, and your
substituted claim that antidiag(L) is computable real.

> Give me a list of all computable numbers in the same form as
> Cantor's proof requires a purported list of all Reals, ie a list
> where the nth digit of the nth term is known.

The constructive portion Cantor's proof requires nothing more than a
mapping from N to R. In particular, it does not require that the n'th
digit of the n'th term in that mapping "is known". That requirement
is entirely due to your imagination.

> So by definition if the list contains only computable Reals, we know
> the nth digit of each term.

Careful with your quantifiers! For a list of computable reals, the
following is true:

for all n, there exists Turing machine T such that T(n) computes the
n'th digit of L(n),

but the following is false:

there exists Turing machine T such that for all n, T(n) computes the
n'th digit of L(n).

You appear to be claiming the latter. Are you?

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie