Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> That is crap. Cantor uses the list.

So what? He only needed to prove that the antidiagonal exists and is
a real number. He's allowed to use the list.

You are trying to prove that the antidiagonal is a computable real,
which by definition means computable by a standalone finite algorithm,
which means one that does not use the list.

> A list of all computable Reals is not computable.

Correct, but proved by Turing well after Cantor.

> A list of all Reals is not computable. The latter was proved by
> Cantor.

No, Cantor proved that a list of all reals cannot *exist*, computable
or otherwise.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules