Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 20 Jun., 01:58, Tim Little <t...@little-possums.net> wrote:
> On 2010-06-19, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
>

> > There is, however, some question in my mind about the existence of a
> > list of all and ONLY computable reals.

> Why?  The computable reals can be proven countable, as you already
> know, so there is a bijection between N and the set of countable
> reals.

That is not true. An exclusive list need not exist.

The reals in a certain Cantor-list are countable. And if you form the
anti-diagonal of that list and add it (for instance at first position)
to the list, this new list is also countable. Again consttruct the
anti-diagonal and add it to the list. Continue. The situation remains
the same for all anti-diagonals you might want to construct. Therefore
all reals constructed in that way are countable. Nevertheless it is
impossible to put all of them in one list, because there would be
another resulting anti-diagonal.

Conclusion: It is impossible to obtain a bijection of all these reals
with N although all "these" reals are countable with no doubt.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie