Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote in

message
> > "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> >> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

> >> Of course it is computable. Cantor provides a simple construction for

the
> >> number.
> >
> > No, you're misunderstanding the meaning of computable.
> >
> > Hopefully you will be OK with the following definition:
> >
> > A real number r is computable if there is a TM (Turing machine)
> > T which given n as input, will produce as output
> > the n'th digit of r.
> >
> > So let us suppose there is a list L (not a "computable list", just a
> > "list")
> > of computable numbers in [0,1], covering all computerable numbers.
> >
> > [You have your own strange definition of "list", but I am using the term
> > with it's standard mathematical meaning: L is just a function mapping N
> > (natural numbers) to CR (computable reals). Perhaps we should also

insist
> > that lists are injections (no duplicates) - that's fine. YOU seem to
want
> > to define "list" to only include "computable" functions from N to CR,
but
> > that is NOT what everybody else (including Cantor) means by "list"!]
> >
> > L : N --> CR
> >
> > so we have the sequence (=list) of computable reals:
> >
> > ( L(0),
> > L(1),
> > L(2),
> > ....)
> >
> > Each computable real has it's digital representation, so this list can

be
> > written: (using d(m,n) for n'th digit of L(m)
> >
> > L(0) digits : d(0,0), d(0,1), d(0,2), ...
> > L(1) digits : d(1,0), d(1,1), d(1,2), ...
> > L(2) digits : d(2,0), d(2,1), d(2,2), ...
> >
> > Now, given m and n, is there necessarily a TM that can take m and n as
> > inputs, and ouput d(m,n)?
> >
> > Well, each L(m) individually is computable: there is a corresponding TM,
> > TM_m such that given n as input it will compute d(m,n). We could say:
> >
> > TM_m (n) = d(m,n)
> >
> > But all the TMs can be different and completely unrelated to each other.
> >
> > Can we say there will always be a *single* TM TM_ALL_m, which "subsumes"
> > all
> > the TM_n, i.e. if given m and n as input, will compute d(m,n)? I.e.
> >
> > for all m,n: TM_ALL_m (m,n) = d(m,n) ?????
> >
> > Unfortunately for your argument, the answer is NO.
> >
> > But that is exactly what you would need to argue that the anti-diagonal

is
> > computable: You need a TM that could calculate d(m,m), but this needs
the
> > TM TM_ALL_m, and we do not have that!
> >
> > I know what you want to say at this point! :) You want to say that I

have
> > "explicitly given you" d(m,n), and I can only do this if d(m,n) is
> > computable. (Right?) And you want to tell me that Cantor's diagonal
> > proof
> > is the same?
> >
> > Well, this is a misreading of Cantor's proof! Look closely:
> >
> > Paraphrasing of Cantor's proof:
> >
> > Given a function L: N --> [0,1], there
> > exists r in [0,1], such that
> > for all n, r != L(n) [i.e. r is not in the list]
> >
> > Proof:
> > 1) Suppose L: N-->R
> > 2) Define LD: (NxN)-->{0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}
> > such that LD(m,n) = n'th digit of L(m)
> > 3) Define RD: N-->R
> > such that RD(m) = [...antidiagonal digit m...]
> > 4) Then RD determines a real r in [0,1]
> > 5) Show for all n, r != L(n) from defn. of r above.
> >
> > Where in this proof does Cantor require LD(m,n) to be computable?

(Answer
> > =
> > nowhere.)
> >
> > I think maybe you are thinking it must be computable, due to your
> > misleading
> > use of the phrase "explicitly given", but actually all Cantor does is
> > argue
> > that IF a (any) function L (not necessarily computable) EXISTS mapping N
> > [0,1], the mere existence of L implies the existence of a corresponding
> > real
> > r not in the list L. There is nothing requiring real computer programs

> > actually compute anything here! It's just a mathematical proof of
> > existence
> > of something.
> >

> What you are writing above is *not* Cantor's diagonal proof as it appears

on
> a million websites.

Well, I claim that it is at least OBVIOUSLY EQUIVALENT to what Cantor is
saying. It's true I didn't go to a web site and cut and paste any
"official" text from his original document, but in essence my understanding
is:

1. Cantor shows that any map from N to R cannot be "onto" R.
2. That my proof above sketches this out:
- Cantor equates real numbers with their digit sequences
(This is why I go from L to LD)
- Cantor shows the existence of a new digit sequence, via
the antidiagonal argument
(That is what I do in step (3). RD is my new digit sequence.)
- Cantor proves that RD is a new digit sequence
- and that consequenctly the corresponding real number
is not in the original map L.

So I think my proof follows Cantor's pretty closely, although it is my own
notation. Given the amount of effort I put into trying to help you, I'm
disappointed you can't get over some minor notationaly differences to follow
what I'm saying. You've also given no indication of in what way you think
my proof differs from Cantors! (Well, that would be OK if my proof was
"nothing like" Cantor's but that's clearly not the case as I've just
explained, so I'm left mystified by your claim...)

> The whole point of my post was to use Cantor's proof exactly, which alows

me
> to demonstrate that Cantor's proof does *not* in of itself prove the
> uncounatbility of the Reals.
>
> Perhaps if you were to tell me where you think the error in my very simple
> proof is, then we would be making progress.

Sure I'll do this. To avoid a further "that's not Cantor's proof" claim
from you, please quote exactly what proof of Cantor's you want me to comment
on.

Regards,
Mike.

Date Subject Author