Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote in message
>> Not so - the "very simple algorithm" you are suggesting requires
>> "the input list" in its raw (infinite) form as input.

> No. Computing the the anti-diagonall to n places only requires the
> first n items on the list to n digits of accuracy.

Read the definition of computable real carefully, please!

You need to show that there exists a finite algorithm that accepts
input n, with *no* additional input, and produces the n'th digit.

You don't get to put an upper bound on n when exhibiting the
algorithm. The same algorithm must work for all n.

For some fixed M, you could embed M digits of the diagonal into the
algorithm, and the algorithm would work for all n < M. But that's not
enough: it has to work for all n.

> How is this number any less computable than the square root of 2?

There exists a straightforward algorithm (e.g. Newton's method) to
calculate square roots to arbitrary precision. You can embed the
value 2 into an algorithm which accepts n as input, and applies
Newton's method to generate the first n digits of sqrt(2).

You cannot embed the list L into an algorithm which applies the
antidiagonal procedure for arbitrary input n, as the list L is
infinite. You can only embed finitely many digits of L, and so there
will be an upper bound on the values of n for which the algorithm
works.

> I don't use the whole list. To calculate the nth digit of the
> anti-diagonal I only need the first n terms to n decimal places
> accuracy. That is a finite amount of data.

However, you then need infinitely many different algorithms for
increasing n. A number is only computable if the same algorithm works
for all n.

>> Now IF you could codify all this data somehow into a finite
>> program, so you had a computable function D(m,n) which produced the
>> n'th digit of the m'th number in the list, you would be OK. But
>> you DON'T have such a computable function D.

> Well, Cantor asks for a list of Reals. And D(m,n) is computable in
> my case by definition

No, it is not. The m'th entry is computable for each m, with a
different algorithm for every m. For D to be computable, there must
exist a *single* finite algorithm that subsumes them all. There
exists no such algorithm.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules