Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Thus if your list contained say:
>
> .1111111
> .2222222
> .1111222
>
> The antidiagonal is 0.212...
>
> Notice that I computed this quite easily?

I notice that your algorithm only works for n < 4.

>> You will not be able to fill that hole, because there are
>> well-defined functions L for which antidiag(L) is *not* a
>> computable real. There are even explicitly-definable such lists,
>> and furthermore there are such lists where there are only two
>> values in the range: for example, let L(n) = 0 if the n'th digit of
>> Omega is 0, L(n) = 1/9 otherwise.

> I am having a bit of trouble computing even the first term of that.

According to one of Chaitin's papers, the first term is 0.

But that's irrelevant: it is either 0 or 1/9 and in *both* cases it is
a computable real. You personally might not know what it is, I might
not know what it is, but the list entry exists and is a computable
real either way.

> I am also wondering how Cantor would have felt about that. I can't
> see that he can change a "1" to a "2" etc if he doesn't know what
> the value is.

You appear to be laboring under the misapprehension that Cantor had to
change any value to anything.

He proved that if *there exists* a list of reals, then *there exists*
an antidiagonal real that is not on the list. If we don't know what
is on the list, then we won't know what the antidiagonal is - but we
still know it has one.

> But you have made an excellent point in your example. When Cantor is
> confronted with some digit as poorly defined your Chaitan's number
> example

It's not poorly defined at all; it is precisely defined.

But even that is more than required: the proof even works for
*undefinable* lists of reals. For every hypothetical mathematical
object that is a list of reals, that list has an antidiagonal.

> it can simply say "I don't care what the number actually is". There
> is not the same luxury with computable Reals; this act of
> arbitrary/random choice can make them uncomputable, as your example
> shows.

It is not arbitrary or random at all. Omega has a precise
mathematical definition and is a single real value.

> Well, yes, but I am failing to see how you are providing a list of
> computable Reals when you won't actually tell me even what is the
> first computable Real on the list.

I did tell you with clear mathematical precision.

> Cantor's algorithm requires slightly more than a set of Reals, it
> also demands they are ordered for us - there is a mapping from N to
> that set.

I provided that mapping. It is precisely defined and mathematically
unambiguous, merely difficult to use in practice.

> That's still a nice example, that every item in a list can be
> computable but the anti-diagonal is not. But I still don't think you
> are really playing fair with this one.

Fairness has nothing to do with it. I already provided far more than
Cantor's proof assumes.

> You have to tell me what the first, second, third etc items are on
> the list. I mean, that's what a list is after all, a mapping from N,
> and that is what Cantor's proof requires as input.

As state before, Cantor's proof does not require any input at all. It
proves the single *closed* proposition "there does not exist a
complete list of real numbers". No free variables, no input.

It is *not* a schema of theorems "L is not a complete list of real
numbers", one for each L. In some fields of mathematics such schemata
exist, but Cantor's theorem was not an example of such.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie