Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
>>> No you couldn't, as it makes no assumption of any finite algorithm.
>>> Only *your* alteration of Cantor's proof assumes any sort of finite
>>> algorithm, as it is required for the definition of "computable real".

>> I don't say anything about finite algorithms. I just ask for a list of
>> computable Reals, in the same form a Cantor asks for a list of Reals.

> If you don't realize that "finite algorithm" is contained within the
> definition of "computable real" that you use, there really is no use
> in continuing this line of conversation any further. Goodbye.

I do understand that. But I don't actually ask for a "finite algorithm" in
my proof, I only require that I am provided a purported list of all
comptuable Reals.

Yes, in practice, this means that each item is specified by a finite
algorithm, but so what? I ask for a purported list of all computable Reals
and show there is at least one missing. Exactly the same as in Cantor's
original proof. Producing the purported list of all computable Reals is your
problem. That you cannot do this is exactly my point, yes I know there is no
finite algorithm for calculating every computable Real, that is what I am
trying to prove - that there can be no list of exactly the computable
numbers. Any more than there can be no list of all Reals. And its not
because the computable Reals are uncountable ... they are enumerable but not
recursively enumerable.

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules