Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

lwalke3@lausd.net

On Jun 20, 8:51 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Newberry <newberr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > That's right. There is no formula or algorithm to construct the list.
> > It means that you would have to flip each and every digit one by one.
> > And that is impossible.

> Of course, it is perfectly reasonable to accept that there is no such
> list, because Newberry says so.

Ah, so it's nice to see that Newberry has joined Herc and WM in
this ever-growing thread.

> Cantor was this utterly insane freak who chose not to accept Newberry's
> word for it, and instead *prove* that there was no list of all real
> numbers.

But this proof that there is no list of all real numbers must use
the axioms of some _theory_ (such as ZFC) -- a theory which
Newberry isn't required to accept just because Hughes says so.

So Hughes continues to be a Herc-religionist (i.e., a religionist
according to Herc), appealing to ZFC to prove Newberry wrong
even though there's no reason to assume that Newberry is
working in ZFC (or any other theory proving Cantor's Theorem).

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb