Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> "Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote in
>> message

>>> Not so - the "very simple algorithm" you are suggesting requires
>>> "the input list" in its raw (infinite) form as input.

>> No. Computing the the anti-diagonall to n places only requires the
>> first n items on the list to n digits of accuracy.

> Read the definition of computable real carefully, please!
>
> You need to show that there exists a finite algorithm that accepts
> input n, with *no* additional input, and produces the n'th digit.

Yes. Cantor produced such an algorithm. It is finite; the number can be
specified to any arbitrary degree of accuracy in a finite number of steps
with only a finite input.

Hell, I can do it by hand, so it must be finite. Give me your list of all
computable Reals and I will compute the anti-diagonal to arbitrary precision
for you.

> You don't get to put an upper bound on n when exhibiting the
> algorithm. The same algorithm must work for all n.

The same algorithm does work for all n. Look at the first n terms to n
places of accuracy.

> For some fixed M, you could embed M digits of the diagonal into the
> algorithm, and the algorithm would work for all n < M. But that's not
> enough: it has to work for all n.

I can in fact compute the nth digit of the anti-diagonal for any n by hand.

Cantor's original proof has the same requirements as mine. He asks for a
purported list of all Reals and shows how to construct a missing Real. So do
I. Of course I need to see the list first, and use this infirnite list in my
proof, or else I couldn't tell you which Real is missing. But so does Cantor

>> How is this number any less computable than the square root of 2?
>
> There exists a straightforward algorithm (e.g. Newton's method) to
> calculate square roots to arbitrary precision. You can embed the
> value 2 into an algorithm which accepts n as input, and applies
> Newton's method to generate the first n digits of sqrt(2).

Given a purported list of all computable Reals, I can explicitly construct a
Real not on the list to any required degree of accuracy.

> You cannot embed the list L into an algorithm which applies the
> antidiagonal procedure for arbitrary input n, as the list L is
> infinite. You can only embed finitely many digits of L, and so there
> will be an upper bound on the values of n for which the algorithm
> works.

The same objection could be raised to Cantor's proof; after all, he accepts
a purportedly infinite list as input to his algorithn as well.

>> I don't use the whole list. To calculate the nth digit of the
>> anti-diagonal I only need the first n terms to n decimal places
>> accuracy. That is a finite amount of data.

> However, you then need infinitely many different algorithms for
> increasing n. A number is only computable if the same algorithm works
> for all n.

Well, the infinite list must be supplied in advance. Or else I can't work
out what is missing. But then, Cantor's original proof has exactly the same
rtequirement.

>>> Now IF you could codify all this data somehow into a finite
>>> program, so you had a computable function D(m,n) which produced the
>>> n'th digit of the m'th number in the list, you would be OK. But
>>> you DON'T have such a computable function D.

>> Well, Cantor asks for a list of Reals. And D(m,n) is computable in
>> my case by definition

> No, it is not. The m'th entry is computable for each m, with a
> different algorithm for every m. For D to be computable, there must
> exist a *single* finite algorithm that subsumes them all. There
> exists no such algorithm.

Well, the algorithm is clearly computable. If you give me a purported list
of all computable numbers, I can compute a missing number.

Or are you saying I have to do this without using the infinite list itself?
I note that Cantor's original proof also requires an infinite list of Reals,
but you seem to have no problem with that.

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie