Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> I can't see how the move from addition of "computable" in front of "Reals"
> requires any additional substitution in my "definition of a list".

It's not just "definition of a list" in Cantor's proof. It's
definition of a "list of reals". If you change that to "list of
computable reals", then of course the definition changes.

> I still can't accept that you are providing a list of computable
> Reals when you aren't even telling me what the first one actually
> is. That's cheating.

I provide a mathematical definition for it. That is more than
required, as Cantor's proof applies even to *undefinable* lists of
reals. And yes, it is easily proven that there exist undefinable
lists of computable reals.

So if it is "cheating", it is only according to rules that never
existed in the first place.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules