Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article <4c1eb4dc$0$1027$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au>,
"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:

> "Virgil" <Virgil@home.esc> wrote in message

> > In article
> > <ccb88bb1-d8a6-4f04-bc6a-ca3346f7c8ad@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
> > WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:
> >

> >> On 20 Jun., 02:04, "Mike Terry"

> >> Whatever might be the true meaning: The Turing machine need a finite
> >> definition. Therefore the computable number has a finite definition.
> >>
> >> There are only countable many finite definitions. And every diagonal
> >> of a defined Cantor list has also a finite definition.

> > Cantor's argument does not require that any member of a list of reals be
> > computable beyond a finite number of decimal places, so enough of each
> > can be finitely defined for the proof to work.

> Exactly the same as mine.
>
> Cantor calculates the anti-diagonal to n places (for all n) using only the
> first n digits of the first n items. So do I.

Technically speaking,CANTOR'S anti-diagonal argument involves only
binary sequences, not real numbers at all, though the real number form
of the argument is almost always attributed to him.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb