Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> I do understand that. But I don't actually ask for a "finite algorithm" in
> my proof, I only require that I am provided a purported list of all
> comptuable Reals.

Later in the proof, you claim that the antidiagonal real is
computable. In other words, that there exists a finite algorithm for
computing it.

> Yes, in practice, this means that each item is specified by a finite
> algorithm, but so what? I ask for a purported list of all computable Reals
> and show there is at least one missing.

At least one *what* missing? A real? Fine - Cantor's proof shows
that there is a missing real. What's that? You want the antidiagonal
to be a *computable* real? Well, then - you are required to show that
there always exists a finite algorithm to compute it, and that is not
present in Cantor's proof.

So your modified "proof" is either invalid, or you must include
significant amounts of material not present in Cantor's proof.

As is well-known to competent mathematicians and computer scientists,
no amount of material will make it valid, as the modified "theorem" is
simply false. It is *not true* that any list of computable reals has
a computable antidiagonal.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules