Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Actually, he shows that any purported list of all Reals must miss at last
> one Real.
>
> *not* the same as being uncountable

Yes it is. Look up the definitions.

> witness the same argument applied to computable Reals.

Applying the same argument shows that any purported list of all
computable reals must miss at least one real. So?

>> Actually Cantor's original "diagonal" proof was based on the set of
>> all functions from the naturals to a two element set,

> No.

Yes, actually. There are many more modern reforumlations of Cantor's
diagonal construction, and you are likely confusing those with the
original. The more modern ones are more streamlined with the benefit
of hindsight.

That is why you were asked by one poster *exactly which* version of
Cantor's diagonal argument you are talking about. So far it seems to
be a strawman proof you invented yourself and are ascribing to Cantor.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie