Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-20, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>>> To produce the nth decimal of the anti-diagonal, look at the first n
>>> items on the purported list of all computable Reals.

>> In what way is that "a finite algorithm accepting only the *finite*
>> input n"?

> Its finite, and its an algorithm.

... but not "accepting only the finite input n". Are you really so
incapable of reading a single sentence?

>> It either must embed the list within the algorithm (thus rendering
>> it not finite),

> No, it embeds the first n digits of the first n terms to calculate
> the first n decimal places, and does for all n.

So your opinion is that any infinite set of finite sequences can
always be embedded into a *finite* algorithm?

What would such an algorithm look like, expressed in a computer
language?

int getDiagonalDigit(BigInteger n) {
// ... you fill in this part ...
}