Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Tim Little

On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> The same algorithm does work for all n. Look at the first n terms to
> n places of accuracy.

Provide computer code, please. Here's the required function
signature: int getDigit(BigInteger n). You get to fill in the
function body.

>> For some fixed M, you could embed M digits of the diagonal into the
>> algorithm, and the algorithm would work for all n < M. But that's not
>> enough: it has to work for all n.

> I can in fact compute the nth digit of the anti-diagonal for any n
> by hand.

"By hand" is irrelevant to the definition of a computable real,
especially when your "hand" is connected to "eyes" that have the list
as input. The list is *not* input to the algorithm.

> The same objection could be raised to Cantor's proof; after all, he
> accepts a purportedly infinite list as input to his algorithn as
> well.

Cantor does not claim to be proving existence of any finite algorithm.
You are.

> Or are you saying I have to do this without using the infinite list
> itself?

You may use the infinite list to determine which finite algorithm to
use, but the algorithm must be self-contained and not refer to the
list. The *only* input to the algorithm you select will be a natural
number, which denotes n.

> I note that Cantor's original proof also requires an infinite list
> of Reals, but you seem to have no problem with that.

Indeed I don't. Cantor is not claiming that the antidiagonal is a
computable real, and so finite algorithms are irrelevant.

You *are* claiming that the antidiagonal is a computable real, and so
you must prove the existence of a suitable finite algorithm for the
antidiagonal.

- Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules