Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Newberry

On Jun 20, 7:02 pm, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Transfer Principle <lwal...@lausd.net> writes:

> >> Of course, it is perfectly reasonable to accept that there is no such
> >> list, because Newberry says so.

> > Ah, so it's nice to see that Newberry has joined Herc and WM in
> > this ever-growing thread.

> Yes, how nice!  Er, how come?  Why do you think this is a nice thing?
>
> Honestly?  It's not that I think it's a bad thing --- though, to be
> honest, I think Newberry's better than the argument he gives here ---
> but why do you think it's a positive development?
>

> >> Cantor was this utterly insane freak who chose not to accept Newberry's
> >> word for it, and instead *prove* that there was no list of all real
> >> numbers.

> > But this proof that there is no list of all real numbers must use
> > the axioms of some _theory_ (such as ZFC) -- a theory which
> > Newberry isn't required to accept just because Hughes says so.

> Of course he's not required to accept it.  So?
>
> Nonetheless, it is a *theorem*, namely a theorem of ZF.
>

> > So Hughes continues to be a Herc-religionist (i.e., a religionist
> > according to Herc), appealing to ZFC to prove Newberry wrong even
> > though there's no reason to assume that Newberry is working in ZFC (or
> > any other theory proving Cantor's Theorem).

> If Newberry means that Cantor's Theorem is not a Theorem in some other
> (specified) theory, then, of course, I'd have no opinion at all, until I
> saw the theory.
>
> So, let's ask Newberry!
>
> Newberry, what theory did you have in mind?

What I had in mind is that if you drop the axiom of extent you can
either conclude that there is no such list or that the anti-diagonal
does not exist analogously to the conclusion that the set R = {x | ~(x
in x} does not exist.

BTW, Cantor did not work in ZFC and the argument given by McCullough
appeared to be on the intuitive level rather than in any particular
formal theory.

I will grant you that Zermelo figured how to construct a system where
the diagonal argument goes through and his system is probably
consistent. It is a nonsense nevertheless. All the transfinite set
theory is a completely superfluous metaphysics.

> --
> Jesse F. Hughes
> "I'm not going to forget what I've seen.  I understand the devastation
> requires more than one day's attention."
>  -- G. W. Bush reassures Hurricane Katrina victims.  Two days, minimum.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb