Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
>> The same algorithm does work for all n. Look at the first n terms to
>> n places of accuracy.

> Provide computer code, please. Here's the required function
> signature: int getDigit(BigInteger n). You get to fill in the
> function body.
>

>>> For some fixed M, you could embed M digits of the diagonal into the
>>> algorithm, and the algorithm would work for all n < M. But that's not
>>> enough: it has to work for all n.

>> I can in fact compute the nth digit of the anti-diagonal for any n
>> by hand.

> "By hand" is irrelevant to the definition of a computable real,
> especially when your "hand" is connected to "eyes" that have the list
> as input. The list is *not* input to the algorithm.

Yeah, it is.

Cantor constructs the antidiagonal by taking the list and then computing a
missing Real based upon the decimal expansion of every Real on the list.

>> The same objection could be raised to Cantor's proof; after all, he
>> accepts a purportedly infinite list as input to his algorithn as
>> well.

> Cantor does not claim to be proving existence of any finite algorithm.
> You are.

Cantor explicitly calculates the real that is missing be examining the
decimal expansion of every item in the list. No more or less than I do.

>> Or are you saying I have to do this without using the infinite list
>> itself?

> You may use the infinite list to determine which finite algorithm to
> use, but the algorithm must be self-contained and not refer to the
> list.

Not in Cantor's proof. He explicitly uses the decimal expansion of every
Real on the list to construct the anti-diagonal.

Of course Cantor has know what's on the list to determine an element which
is missing. In exactly the same way as I do.

> The *only* input to the algorithm you select will be a natural
> number, which denotes n.
>

>> I note that Cantor's original proof also requires an infinite list
>> of Reals, but you seem to have no problem with that.

> Indeed I don't. Cantor is not claiming that the antidiagonal is a
> computable real, and so finite algorithms are irrelevant.

Yet he explicitly constructs the missing Real to arbitrary accuracy.

> You *are* claiming that the antidiagonal is a computable real, and so
> you must prove the existence of a suitable finite algorithm for the
> antidiagonal.

Actually, I only need to be able to specify it to arbitrary accuracy for it
to be computable, and I can certainly do that.

Or are you trying to claim that while I can calculate the explicit decimal
expansion of the missing computable Real, I can't compute the missing
computable Real itself? If I can compute every digit in the missing
computable number, I have computed the number itself.

> - Tim

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie