Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Peter Webb

"Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On 2010-06-19 22:31:56 -0400, Peter Webb said:
>

>> Cantor's original proof requires the list to be provided in advance
>
> No, it does not. It's an existence proof showing that:
>
> IF a list of reals L(x) (where L : N -> R) exists, THEN a real A_L exists
> such that for every natural number n, L(n) ? A_L.
>
> Or, equivalently, showing that:
>
> For every function L from N to R, there exists a real r not in the image
> of L.
>
> Being a constructive proof, it's usually *presented* as if it were an
> algorithm or a procedure, but it's only for ease of comprehension.

Umm, I am talking about Cantor's proof as it is generally presented, and in
that case it is an explicit algorithm.

> Unfortunately, that seems to have backfired on you.

So you are saying that Cantor's proof in its usual form is incorrect, as it
pretends to include an algorithmic process for computing the anti-diagonal?

> -o
>
> Incidentally, "countable" and "listable" mean the same thing in
> conventional set theories: an infinite set S is countable if and only if
> there exists an surjective function f from N to S. Since a "list" of
> elements of S is most easily formalized as a surjective function from N to
> S, denying that S is listable is equivalent to denying that it is
> countable.

The existence of a surjective function from N to S proves it is countable.

The ability to prepare a list of exactly the elements proves the list is
recursively enumerable.

If you cannot form the list, you have proved that it is not recursively
enumerable. This is a somewhat weaker condition that it being uncountable.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb