Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 21 Jun., 12:41, stevendaryl3...@yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough) wrote:
> Peter Webb says...
>

> >Cantor constructs the antidiagonal by taking the list and then computing a
> >missing Real based upon the decimal expansion of every Real on the list.

> That's right, so Cantor showed how to compute an antidiagonal
> using the list of reals as an input. That shows that the antidiagonal
> is computable *relative* to the list. It does not show that the
> antidiagonal is computable. "Computable relative to a list" and
> "computable" are two different things.
>
> This is a pretty simple concept, Peter. Mathematically,
> you have a function antidiagonal(L,n) which returns the
> nth digit of the antidiagonal, given the list L and n.
> That function is computable. But for the antidiagonal
> to be computable (not computable *relative* to L), you
> would have to be able to come up with a function
>
> antidiagonal(n)
>
> that, for *any* n, gives the nth digit of the antidiagonal.
>
> Two different concepts: computable relative to L, and computable.

But none of them does help to save set theory.

The diagonal numbers computable relative to a list are countable. And
so are the diagonal numbers computable relative to a list that is
extended in the n-th step by the diagonal number computed in step n -
1.

Nevertheless, there is not list of these "relative to the list"
computable diagonal numbers. Therefore Cantor's proof shows the
uncountability of a countable set.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules