Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 21 Jun., 15:05, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:
> On 21/06/2010 7:51 PM, WM wrote:
>

> > On 20 Jun., 22:18, Virgil<Vir...@home.esc>  wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <f92c169d-ee85-40c2-aa82-c8bdf06f7...@j4g2000yqh.googlegroups.com>,

> >> That is a deliberate misrepresentation of the so called "diagonal proof".
>
> > But this proof can be applied to this countable set and shows its
> > uncountability.

> Let's see. How might that work...
>
> OK, by way of example, take the set of rationals. It's countable, so we
> can list them.
>
> Now construct an anti-diagonal. It's clearly not in the list, so...
>
> ... um, well what, exactly?

It is an irrational number. Add it at first position to the former
list L0, obtain L1. Now construct the diagonal of L1 (according to a
fixed scheme). It is certainly an irrational number. Add ist to the
list L1 at first position, obtain list L2. Now construct the
diagonal, ... and continue. I this way you get a countable set
consisting of all rationals and of all diagonal numbers of these
lists. This set is certainly not countable, because you can prove that
there is always a diagonal number not in the list. On the other hand,
the set is countable by construction. What now?

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie