Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
> On 21 Jun., 15:05, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

Newberry's

Newberry

> > > But this proof can be applied to this countable set and shows its
> > > uncountability.

> > Let's see. How might that work...
> >
> > OK, by way of example, take the set of rationals. It's countable, so we
> > can list them.
> >
> > Now construct an anti-diagonal. It's clearly not in the list, so...
> >
> > ... um, well what, exactly?

> It is an irrational number. Add it at first position to the former
> list L0, obtain L1. Now construct the diagonal of L1 (according to a
> fixed scheme). It is certainly an irrational number. Add ist to the
> list L1 at first position, obtain list L2. Now construct the
> diagonal, ... and continue. I this way you get a countable set
> consisting of all rationals and of all diagonal numbers of these
> lists.

No... What you get is an infinite sequence of lists (L0, L1, L2, ...)

Each Ln in the sequnce contains all rationals, and Ln contains the
antidiagonals for L0,...L(n-1). Ln doesn't contain its own antidiagonal,
and doesn't contain any antidiagonals for Lm with m>n.

> This set is certainly not countable, because you can prove that
> there is always a diagonal number not in the list.

What set? It seems you're thinking there is some "limit list" for the
sequence of lists (L0, L1, L2, ...), or do you mean a specific list Ln for
some n?

If you mean some kind of limit list, please define exactly what this is.

> On the other hand,
> the set is countable by construction. What now?

That depends on how you answer my previous question!

Regards,
Mike.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules