Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

lwalke3@lausd.net

On Jun 21, 5:46 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Newberry <newberr...@gmail.com> writes:
> > What I had in mind is that if you drop the axiom of extent you can
> > either conclude that there is no such list or that the anti-diagonal
> > does not exist analogously to the conclusion that the set R = {x | ~(x
> > in x} does not exist.

> I'm not sure what the axiom of extent is.

It should be evident to Hughes that "Axiom of Extent" refers to
the "Axiom of Extensionality," as "extensionality" is related to
the English word "extent." A quick Google search -- which
Hughes could have done himself in seconds -- reveals sources
using the name "Axiom of Extent" that even Hughes should
consider respectable, including papers written by mathematicians,
textbooks (via Google books), and the class websites of some
university math classes.

Newberry discusses dropping Extent (Extensionality). He might be
interested in a current zuhair thread, where zuhair also considers
the consequences of dropping this axiom.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb