Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> "Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote in

message
> > "Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> >> "Mike Terry" <news.dead.person.stones@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote in

> > message

all

lists

number.

for
> > the

mapping

> > insist
> > want
> > but

can
> > be

as

say:

anti-diagonal
> > is
> > the

> > have

> > (Answer

mapping

corresponding

programs

> >> What you are writing above is *not* Cantor's diagonal proof as it

appears
> > on
> >> a million websites.
> >
> > Well, I claim that it is at least OBVIOUSLY EQUIVALENT to what Cantor is
> > saying. It's true I didn't go to a web site and cut and paste any
> > "official" text from his original document, but in essence my
> > understanding
> > is:
> >
> > 1. Cantor shows that any map from N to R cannot be "onto" R.
> > 2. That my proof above sketches this out:
> > - Cantor equates real numbers with their digit sequences
> > (This is why I go from L to LD)
> > - Cantor shows the existence of a new digit sequence, via
> > the antidiagonal argument
> > (That is what I do in step (3). RD is my new digit sequence.)
> > - Cantor proves that RD is a new digit sequence
> > - and that consequenctly the corresponding real number
> > is not in the original map L.
> >
> > So I think my proof follows Cantor's pretty closely, although it is my

own
> > notation. Given the amount of effort I put into trying to help you, I'm
> > disappointed you can't get over some minor notationaly differences to
> > follow
> > what I'm saying.

> The whole point of what I am doing is to use his original proof in its
> original form.
>
> Introducing new notation is a crank's way of arguing.
>
> Why not look at my proof, which follows Cantor's proof, instead of

changing
> te notation to produce a proof which you claim is equivalent and arguing
> about that different proof, which you claim differs only in notation?

OK, I said I'd do that below, so we'll see. I'd not actually seen any
statement from you of the full Cantor proof that you keep referring to.
Still, it's on "millions of websites", so I'm expecting when it finally
comes it will be super precise and thorough, and so really easy for me to
pin down the flaw you're asking for. Especially as my proof above was
already pretty detailed, but that wasn't good enough for you... :)

> > You've also given no indication of in what way you think
> > my proof differs from Cantors! (Well, that would be OK if my proof was
> > "nothing like" Cantor's but that's clearly not the case as I've just
> > explained, so I'm left mystified by your claim...)
> >

> >> The whole point of my post was to use Cantor's proof exactly, which

alows
> > me
> >> to demonstrate that Cantor's proof does *not* in of itself prove the
> >> uncounatbility of the Reals.
> >>
> >> Perhaps if you were to tell me where you think the error in my very
> >> simple
> >> proof is, then we would be making progress.

> > Sure I'll do this. To avoid a further "that's not Cantor's proof" claim
> > from you, please quote exactly what proof of Cantor's you want me to
> > comment
> > on.
> >

> There can be no list of all Reals.
>
> Imagine such a list of purported Reals exists. Compute the anti-diagonal
> number as follows ... blah blah. This Real is not on the list.

Um... Seriously?

That's your version of Cantor's proof that appears on "millions of websites"
and is your final and most detailed statement of the proof that you're
capable of? You do realise that my own proof said the same but in more
precise terms than you, e.g. not missing out important key steps? (I don't
think you do...)

Still, I said I'd do it so I'll try and work with you.

Also you've missed out a key bit, presumably because it's not important to
you, but it's the bit you're overlooking!

OK, here's Cantor's official proof (according to you, but
I've added a key step which you missed out, and funnily enough it's the bit
you've overlooked.):

Thm: There can be no list of all Reals.

Proof:
1. Imagine such a list of purported Reals exists.
2. Compute the anti-diagonal number as follows ...
blah blah.
[I'm quite happy with the blah blah bit :) ]
[But I'm NOT happy with your use of the verb
"Compute" since it could suggest the formal
maths meaning of "computable function", whereas
in fact we just mean "DEFINE the antidiagonal..."
Still, let's carry on with your word, and just
keep this in mind]
3a. The antiadiagonal corresponds to a REAL NUMBER
Reason: ANY DIGIT SEQUENCE CORRESPONDS TO A
REAL NUMBER.
3b. This Real is not on the list.

Now I do a "change all" from Real to Computable Real to get your alleged
proof:

Thm: There can be no list of all computable Reals.

Proof:
1. Imagine such a list of purported computable Reals exists.
2. Compute the anti-diagonal number as follows ...
blah blah.
[I'm quite happy with the blah blah bit:)]
[But I'm NOT happy with your use of the verb
"Compute" since it could suggest the formal
maths meaning of "computable function", whereas
in fact we just mean "DEFINE the antidiagonal..."
Still, let's carry on with your word, and just
keep this in mind]
3a. The antiadiagonal corresponds to a COMPUTABLE REAL NUMBER
Reason: ANY DIGIT SEQUENCE CORRESPONDS TO A
COMPUTABLE REAL NUMBER.
3b. This computable Real is not on the list.

The wrong step is (3a). (The one missed out from your version of Cantor's
proof.)

It is not true that any digit sequence corresponds to a computable real
number. The antidiagonal is a Real number, since ANY digit sequence
determines a Real number, but if you want to claim it's computable, actual
proof is required for this.

Note also, if we did a "change all" instead from Real to "rational Real" the
proof would break down in exactly the same place. (As others on this thread
have already pointed out.)

Maybe you think you can patch up (3a) and prove the conclusion so the proof
can carry on from there? (In fact, it's obvious you think this from your
posts.) However, already you've failed in your original claim which was
that simply by doing the "change all" Cantor's proof must "automatically"
remain valid, while you can see from above that it does not.

Feel free to try and prove (3a) yourself and complete the proof, but
remember the definition of "computable real" used in (3a) does not allow
algorithms with infinite input data. Anyway, I've done what I said I would
do here which is point out where the "change all" argument goes wrong...

Regards,
Mike.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules