Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"Peter Webb" <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote in message

> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message

> > On 2010-06-21, Peter Webb <webbfamily@DIESPAMDIEoptusnet.com.au> wrote:
> >> "Tim Little" <tim@little-possums.net> wrote in message
> >> I do understand that. But I don't actually ask for a "finite algorithm"
> >> in
> >> my proof, I only require that I am provided a purported list of all
> >> comptuable Reals.

> > Later in the proof, you claim that the antidiagonal real is
> > computable. In other words, that there exists a finite algorithm for
> > computing it.
> >

> >> Yes, in practice, this means that each item is specified by a finite
> >> algorithm, but so what? I ask for a purported list of all computable
> >> Reals
> >> and show there is at least one missing.

> > At least one *what* missing? A real? Fine - Cantor's proof shows
> > that there is a missing real.

> And if the nth digit of the nth term is computable, then so is the nth

term
> of the anti-diagonal, as there is an explicit construction of the nth
digit
> of the anti-diagonal based upon the nth digit of the nth term.

This is an easy mistake to make, and I imagine one of the standard "common
mistakes students fall into". I've explained it elsewhere but briefly:

1. you know that for each n, the n'th real in the list is computable
2. i.e. for each n there is a (likely different) TM_n which
computes the digit function for the n'th real
3. the problem is you want a new "subsuming" TM, TM_ALL which
can take as input n, and return the n'th digit of the
n'th real.
4. So, naively you want to "code" TM_ALL to say:
get me TM_n(n).
5. But this isn't legal, because:
- TM_n is a completely different TM
- And you can't "embed" each of the (infinitely many) TM_n
into the single TM_ALL because that wouldn't be a finite
algorithm any more.
- TM_n has a "Godel number" G_n that describes it, and IF
you could compute that, you could then emulate TM_n to
determine TM_n(n). The problem here is THE MAPPING
n--->G_n ISN'T NECCESSARILY A COMPUTABLE FUNCTION!

Now for SOME lists it obviously CAN be the case that the function
(m,n) ---> the n'th digit of the m'th real
IS computable. It's easy to deliberately construct such lists. In this
case, TM_ALL can obviously use this function to get TM_n(n) so the
antidiagonal in this case IS a computable number. But this doesn't work in
general.

Regards,
Mike.
ps. don't worry, this is the last time I'll mention this point unless you
have specific questions about it.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie