Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Owen Jacobson

On 2010-06-21 02:33:50 -0400, Peter Webb said:

> "Owen Jacobson" <angrybaldguy@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> On 2010-06-19 22:31:56 -0400, Peter Webb said:
>>

>>> Cantor's original proof requires the list to be provided in advance
>>
>> No, it does not. It's an existence proof showing that:
>>
>> IF a list of reals L(x) (where L : N -> R) exists, THEN a real A_L
>> exists such that for every natural number n, L(n) ? A_L.
>>
>> Or, equivalently, showing that:
>>
>> For every function L from N to R, there exists a real r not in the image of L.
>>
>> Being a constructive proof, it's usually *presented* as if it were an
>> algorithm or a procedure, but it's only for ease of comprehension.

> Umm, I am talking about Cantor's proof as it is generally presented,
> and in that case it is an explicit algorithm.
>

>> Unfortunately, that seems to have backfired on you.
>>

> So you are saying that Cantor's proof in its usual form is incorrect,
> as it pretends to include an algorithmic process for computing the
> anti-diagonal?

I am saying that interpreting it as an algorithm is less useful as a
mental model than interpreting it as a description of the properties of
some real number (well, actually, some infinte sequence of zeroes and
ones) that must exist for any list of reals (of infinite sequences of
zeroes and ones, likewise). The phrase "for each" is a verbalism for
the universal quantifier, not an instruction to perform some operation.

In fact, considering your unusual definition of "list" (discussed
further below), I'd like to clarify that even further and avoid the
word "list" entirely: Cantor's proof demonstrates that, for every
function L from N to {0, 1}^N, there exists an element of {0, 1}^N that
is not in the image of L. Since this directly implies that no function
from N to {0, 1}^N can be surjective, it proves that the set {0, 1}^N
is uncountable.

There is a bijection between the set {0, 1}^N and the power set of N,
and there is are bijections between either of those sets and the set of
real numbers, so those two sets are also uncountable.

>> Incidentally, "countable" and "listable" mean the same thing in
>> conventional set theories: an infinite set S is countable if and only
>> if there exists an surjective function f from N to S. Since a "list" of
>> elements of S is most easily formalized as a surjective function from N
>> to S, denying that S is listable is equivalent to denying that it is
>> countable.
>>

> The existence of a surjective function from N to S proves it is countable.
>
> The ability to prepare a list of exactly the elements proves the list
> is recursively enumerable.

If that's what you mean by list, then this whole subthread may well be
a simple misunderstanding. "A recursive enumeration" is not what anyone
else in the thread means by "a list": we're all talking about totally
arbitrary functions from N to some set, without any regard to
computability. However, it's fairly well established that the set of
computable reals is not recursively enumerable.

Just so that I'm clear, do you agree that there exists a surjective
function from N to the computable reals?

-o

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie