Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 22 Jun., 11:49, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> >> So we have (L0, L1, L2, ...), and corresponding to each Ln we have an
> >> antidiagonal An.  So we have a sequence (A0, A1, A2, ...).

> >> But (A0, A1, A2, ...) is obviously countable.  Above you say it's "certainly
> >> not countable", but it is.

> > The set is certainly countable. But it cannot be written as a list
> > because the antidiagonal of the supposed list would belong to the set
> > but not to the list. Therefore it is not countable.

> The antidiagonal of the list of (A0, A1, A2,...) would only belong to
> the set if it is also the antidiagnoal of some Ln, which you haven't
> proved to be the case.

There is a sequence of lists including a sequence of diagonals. Every
list Ln includes the diagonals A0 to A(n-1). There is no limit. Not
every sequence has a limit, in particular the sequence 1, 2, 3, ...
does not have a limit. But as the list is and remains countably
infinite, there is no problem if you would like to have a limit. There
is none, but if there was one, the list would maintain its same
structure.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules