Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 22 Jun., 21:05, "Mike Terry"
<news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:

> > Ln =
>
> > An
> > A2
> > A1
> > A0
> > L0

> > where L0 is thelist of all rationals.
>
> > This list Ln contains a countable set of numbers
>
> ..correct, {An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> is obviously countable. [L0(k) is the k'th element in list L0]
>

> > but the set of its
> > diagonals is not listable, because An is not in the list.

> The "set of its diagonals" = {An}. A list has just one diagonal. Every set
> of one element is listable. Like Sylvia I must be misunderstanding what you
> mean. (But I'm not misunderstanding what you actually say. :-)

To spell it out clearly: The set of all diagonals (including or
exluding all rationals - that does not matter)
{..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
that are constrcuted according to my prescription cannot be listed
although it is countable.

If we use Cantor's definiton of "countable", then the set
{..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
is uncountable.

If we use the definition that a subset of a countable set is
countable, then the set
{..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
is countable.

> This is wrong. An obvious listing is (A0, A1, ...)

The set
{..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
cannot be listed.

> there exists a countable set M, such that
> If L is a Cantor-list, then
> (anti-?)diagonal of L belongs to M.
>
> That is so obviously false that its banal.

No it is not. If there exists a Cantor-list, i.e., that what Cantor
really understood by the term list, then it is a list of *defined*
reals. And then its anti-diagonal is a defined real too. Then exists a
countable set M, namely the set of all defined reals, that is
countable. Nevertheless it cannot be listed.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie