Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<163b7c66-426c-4665-acdb-81f92c2b4e64@5g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 22 Jun., 01:32, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> > In article
> > <e0b8cbfa-70a9-4be3-a08f-117e0af7f...@q12g2000yqj.googlegroups.com>,
> >

> >  WM <mueck...@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > Take a list of all rationals. Construct, accordingto a given
> > > substitution rule the antidiagonal. Add it at first position to the
> > > list. Construct, according to the given rule the antidiagonal, add
> > > it ... and so on.

> > You are saying given a list, create its anti-diagonal and prepend it to
> > that list. Repeat with the new list ad infinitum.
> >

> > > The number of antidiagonal is countable. Nevertheless it cannot be
> > > listed.

> > I see no problem in listing the set of such anti-diagonals.

> Including all rational numbers!

The set of all rational numbers has been "listed" many times. I have
done it myself a number of times (established a surjection or bijection
from N to Q).

> > They can
> > even be listed in the order in which each anti-diagonal is to be created.
> >
> > Note that the list of anti-diagonals so far created is finite so long as
> > the number of iterations is finite, and only becomes infinite when the
> > process achieves infinitely many iterations, and thus it is countable.
> >
> > Which such anti-diagonals does WM claim remain unlisted?

> That of the intended list of all those antidiagonals and all rational
> numbers.

If one has separate listings, one of each, it is easy to construct a
joint listing by merely alternating entries.

> > > The complete infinite binary tree contains, by definition, all real
> > > numbers between 0 and 1 as infinite paths, i. e., as infinite
> > > sequences { 0, 1 }^N of bits.

And infinitely many of them twice under the usual correspondence.

> > > The complete infinite binary tree (including all those infinite paths
> > > which consist of nodes and edges only) is constructed by a countable
> > > number of steps.

With each new level doubling the number of finite paths so
steps-to-paths is as n-to-2^n.

Then in a completed tree one has steps(aleph_0) to paths (2^aaleph_0),
but 2^aleph_0 is the cardinality of an uncountalbe set.

> > > In no step more than one infinite paths is extended.
> > > Hence there are not more than countably many infinite paths.

False! Countable, by definition, implies listable, and Cantor¹s
diagonal proof for binary sequences shows that the set of paths (each
path being essentially an infinite binary sequence) is not listable,
thus not countable.

> > I have no idea what sort of definition of "countability" of infinite
> > sets that WM is using,

> I know that you cannot read the above text.
> But perhaps somewhat else can.

Since WM claims a set which is countable need not be listable, or,
equivalently a set which is not listable need not be countable,
both of which are false according to any standard definitions of
'countability' and 'listability', WM owes us his, obviusly nonstandard,
definitions of those two terms.

If WM claims the standard definitions, then his other claims re
countability and listability are merely, and clearly, false.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb