Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
> On 22 Jun., 21:05, "Mike Terry"
> <news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>

> > > Ln =
> >
> > > An
> > > A2
> > > A1
> > > A0
> > > L0

> > > where L0 is thelist of all rationals.
> >
> > > This list Ln contains a countable set of numbers
> >
> > ..correct, {An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> > is obviously countable. [L0(k) is the k'th element in list L0]
> >

> > > but the set of its
> > > diagonals is not listable, because An is not in the list.

> > The "set of its diagonals" = {An}. A list has just one diagonal. Every

set
> > of one element is listable. Like Sylvia I must be misunderstanding what
you
> > mean. (But I'm not misunderstanding what you actually say. :-)
>
> To spell it out clearly: The set of all diagonals (including or
> exluding all rationals - that does not matter)
> {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> that are constrcuted according to my prescription cannot be listed
> although it is countable.

Yes, that's clear, thanks!

But of course the set can be listed:

(A0, L0(0), A1, L0(1), A2, L0(2), A3, L0(3), ...)

and the set is countable.

> If we use Cantor's definiton of "countable", then the set
> {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> is uncountable.

Cantor's definition of countable is that there is an injection from the set
to N (set of natural numbers).

E.g.:
A0 ---> 1
L0(0) ---> 2
A1 ---> 3
L0(1) ---> 4
A2 ---> 5
L0(2) ---> 6

Right? (I'm thinking you must have a different idea of Cantor's definition
of countability - if so it would be useful if you could provide a link to
your source, as the definition above was from Wikipedia which says the
definition is due to Cantor!) (But of course Wikipedia isn't the ultimate
reference...)

> If we use the definition that a subset of a countable set is
> countable, then the set
> {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> is countable.

That's not a definition, it's a theorem.

> > This is wrong. An obvious listing is (A0, A1, ...)
>
> The set
> {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> cannot be listed.

Obviously it can. (I'm completely missing why you could possibly be
thinking it couldn't)

> > there exists a countable set M, such that
> > If L is a Cantor-list, then
> > (anti-?)diagonal of L belongs to M.
> >
> > That is so obviously false that its banal.

> No it is not. If there exists a Cantor-list, i.e., that what Cantor
> really understood by the term list, then it is a list of *defined*
> reals. And then its anti-diagonal is a defined real too. Then exists a
> countable set M, namely the set of all defined reals, that is
> countable. Nevertheless it cannot be listed.

I don't believe that was Cantor's definition of list. (But I'm prepared to
be persuaded if you've got some references for this?)

Regards,
Mike.

> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author