Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Newberry

On Jun 22, 1:14 pm, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> In article
> <e6cef47a-8776-48b7-b21a-627a6366d...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
>

>  Newberry <newberr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > On Jun 21, 9:38 pm, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
> > > In article
> > > <2896ff83-7d48-4bcb-80fa-ea38b8e1b...@40g2000pry.googlegroups.com>,

> > > To what list?
>
> > > An antidiagonal to a list of decimal representations of reals is simple.
>
> > > Ignore any integer digits (to the left of the decimal point) in the
> > > listed numbers and have 0 to the left of the decimal point in the
> > > anti-diagonal. If the nth decimal digit of the nth listed number is 5,
> > > then make the nth decimal digit of the antidiagonal 7, otherwise make it
> > > 3.

> > > This rule prevents it from being equal to any real in the listing.
>
> > > The above is only one of many effective rules for constructing an
> > > antidiagonal different from each listed number.

> > How is this effective if the diagonal has infinite amount of
> > information?

> The list of naturals has an "infinite amount of information" in many
> senses, but a finite rule of construction contains it all.

I do not know how to quantify the amount of information the list of
naturals carries. If it is not 0 then it is a few bits at most.

You talk nonsense and you know it. The list of naturals is
compressible the diagonal is generally incompressible.

> > > If, as in Cantor's original argument, one has a list of binary
> > > sequences, one takes the nth value of the antidiagonal to be the
> > > opposite value from the nth value of the nth listed sequence.- Hide quoted text -

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb