Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article <88dhukFesiU1@mid.individual.net>,
Sylvia Else <sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> On 23/06/2010 2:27 PM, Virgil wrote:
> > In article<88d6j2Fqq8U1@mid.individual.net>,
> > Sylvia Else<sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> >> Ach! Let's scrap A0 - it's confusing.
> >>
> >> If we let L_n be the nth element in the list L0, and An the
> >> anti-diagonal of the An-1, An-2,...., A1, L_1, L_2, L_3,...
> >>
> >> then
> >>
> >> L_1
> >> A1
> >> L_2
> >> A2
> >> L_3
> >> A3
> >> L_4
> >>
> >> is a list. I'm still thinking about that.
> >>
> >> Sylvia.

> > There are a lot of possible lists here.

> Yes.

> > One starts with, for example, same listing of the rationals indexed by
> > the 0-origin naturals: L0 = {q0, q1, q2, ...}.
> >
> > For that list one finds an antidiagonal, a0, not in L0, and with it
> > forms a new list L1 = {a0, q0, q1, q2, ...} with the antidiagonal a0
> > prepended to the list of which it is the antidiagonal.
> >
> > This process is clearly recursive, allowing us now, for example, to find
> > an antidiagonal a1 to L1 which we can prepend a1 to L1 giving a new list
> > L2 = {a1, a0, q0, q1, q2, ...}.
> >
> > The process also clearly may be in theory repeated infinitely often, so
> > that one can derive from it new sequence of the antidiagonals taken in
> > the order of their derivation, A = {a0,a1, a2, ...}.

> Yes, but at some point VM made it clear that the issue wasn't that the
> diagonal wasn't present in A, but in the 'ultimate' L.

The "ultimate L", as presented by WM, does not exist as a standard list,
but only as a list open at both ends, so cannot have a standard
anti-diagonal, though all sorts f equivalent non-members can be
constructed merely by rearranging that "ultimate L" into a list, which
may be done in many ways.

> I was concerned that as it was then formatulated, VM's proposition could
> be attacked on the basis that the diagonal of the 'ultimate' L couldn't
> be constructed - you couldn't even start to do so, because the first
> element of the list wasn't defined. It was the 'last' element of an
> infinite sequence.

One can still create equivalents of antidiagonals simply by reordering
that "final" list. Nthing about an "antidiagonal" requires taking the
elements of the base list in any particular order, as long as one can
take ALL of them one after another in in SOME order.

> Rather than argue that VMs proposition fails on that point, I wanted to
> address the flaw, in order to find a more substantial objection.

The flaw in WM's argument is that he claims that no nonmember can be
found for his "ultimate" open at both ends list, but he is wrong.

Given that "ultimate list" {...a2,a1,a0,q0,q1,q2,...} merely rearrange
it to {q0, a0, q1, a1, q2, a2, ...} and you have comprehensive list of
everything with a findable antidiagonal which is not listed.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb