Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article <88doghFgf9U1@mid.individual.net>,
Sylvia Else <sylvia@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> On 23/06/2010 4:31 PM, Virgil wrote:
>

> > The flaw in WM's argument is that he claims that no nonmember can be
> > found for his "ultimate" open at both ends list, but he is wrong.

> I thought he was trying a Cantor like argument to the effect that a
> non-member is found that should by construction by a member, and then
> arguing that the contradiction therein had to be resolved by concluding
> that the set couldn't be listed, even though it was clearly countable.

I do not think that WM has any coherent argument. Though many
ambiguities and non-sequiturs that his arguments always include make it
difficult to be sure.

> He was certainly wrong, and that was always apparent, but I prefer a
> specific identified flaw over a general "must be wrong" type of
> argument, even if the latter amounts to a proof. OK, sometimes they're
> not available, but they're what I prefer.
>

> > Given that "ultimate list" {...a2,a1,a0,q0,q1,q2,...} merely rearrange
> > it to {q0, a0, q1, a1, q2, a2, ...} and you have comprehensive list of
> > everything with a findable antidiagonal which is not listed.

> I thought that was what I did.

Perhaps so, but since it was not in this post, I wasn't sure.

My newsreader does not make it easy to recover earlier posts in a thread
once they have been marked as read.

> Sylvia.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules