Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 23 Jun., 04:18, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:
> On 23/06/2010 11:33 AM, Sylvia Else wrote:
>

> > On 23/06/2010 11:03 AM, Virgil wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <2000e81b-7c5a-41be-b6af-98f96f2fb...@w31g2000yqb.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Since (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0) does not appear to be a list, why
> >> should there be any antidiagonal for it?

> > Ach! Let's scrap A0 - it's confusing.
>
> > If we let L_n be the nth element in the list L0, and An the
> > anti-diagonal of the An-1, An-2,...., A1, L_1, L_2, L_3,...

> > then
>
> > L_1
> > A1
> > L_2
> > A2
> > L_3
> > A3
> > L_4

> > is a list. I'm still thinking about that.
>
> > Sylvia.
>
> Hmm...
>
> A1 is the antidiagonal of L1 L2 L3...
>
> A2 is the antidiagonal of L1 A1 L2 L3...
>
> A3 is the antidiagonal of L1 A1 L2 A2 L3 L4...
>
> Each An is thus constructed from a list that is different from the list
> into which it is inserted. So the construction does not lead to a list
> that should contain its own anti-diagonal, and it doesn't.

Ln =

An
A2
A1
A0
L0

Does your bijection contain the anti-diagonal of
(..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0)?
If yes, then Cantor's argument fails as a list contains its
antidiagonal.
Reason: you list in your listing above only the lines of lists. That
is so because the antidiagonal of every list Ln belongs to another
list L(n+1)).

b) Does it not? Then a list cannot list all anti-diagonals that
belong to the countabe set constructed in my argument.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie