Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Sylvia Else

On 23/06/2010 10:40 PM, WM wrote:
> On 23 Jun., 13:54, Sylvia Else<syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

>>> Ln =
>>
>>> An
>>> A2
>>> A1
>>> A0
>>> L0

>>> Does your bijection contain the anti-diagonal of
>>> (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0)?

>> I don't understand why you've recast it back to that form.

> That is a an abbreviation of the construction I proposed. Of course
> the "..." stand only for an infinite sequence of well defined digits
> at finite places.
>

>> You can't
>> even form the anti-diagonal of that - what would the first digit of the
>> antidiagonal be?

> What would the last digit of a normal Cantor-diagonal? Why should the
> first digit be more important than the last one? An infinite sequence
> of digits (that is not converging and not defined by a finite formula,
> like Cantor's diagonal sequence) is as undefined when the last digit
> is missing as it is when the first digit is missing.

Cantor doesn't rely on being able to identify a last digit. He's just
saying that no matter how far down the list you look, you'll find that
the element at that point doesn't match the anti-diagonal. But you can't
even begin to formulate his proof if you can't identify the first
element of the list (and hence first digit of the anti-diagonal) either.

First and last are interchangeable, of course, but with your
construction above, you can't specify either the first or the last.

Sylvia.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie