Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<e98313e8-07a4-4b4f-86a9-cfc392a36616@c33g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 23 Jun., 06:47, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:
>

> > Rather than argue that VMs proposition fails on that point, I wanted to
> > address the flaw, in order to find a more substantial objection.

> My initials ar WM.
>
> There is no flaw in the argument: Your bijection either contains all
> constructed antidiagonals.

Nonsense. Every permutation of a listing creates a list whose
antidiagonals are different from those of the original.

> Then a list contains also its antidiagonal

That is more of WM's nonsense since for every list, its own antidiagonal
is constructed so as to be not be a member of THAT list. And if one
inserts it into its own list, one then has a different list.

So for WM to demand a list containing a nonmember of that list is
foolish.

,
> because every list has an antidiagonal and your bijection (that is
> only a permutation of my list) contains all lines and antidiagonals.
> I.e., there is no missing antidiagonal of a "limit" list outside of
> the bijection.

I can find one quite easily. Arrange the original list together with all
the countably many antidiagonals one has generated into a list (which is
quite simple) and take the antidiagonal of that list. this last
antidiagonal will not be in the original or in any of the derived
antidiagnoals.

> Or there is a last diagonal of the limit list that does not belong to
> your bijection (and to my list). Then there is a countable set (the
> set that includes this last diagonal) that is not listable.

WM may find it unlistable, but I do not. Merely prepend that last
antidiagonal to the list from which it was generated.

> Think over that only a little bit. It is not difficult to understand.

I understand it quite clearly, but WM seems to be having a ton of
problems with it.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie