Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<1fe50c9e-496c-401c-aa55-306e93ae8844@s9g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 23 Jun., 13:54, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:

> > > Ln =
> >
> > > An
> > > A2
> > > A1
> > > A0
> > > L0

> > > Does your bijection contain the anti-diagonal of
> > > (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0)?

> > I don't understand why you've recast it back to that form.

> That is a an abbreviation of the construction I proposed. Of course
> the "..." stand only for an infinite sequence of well defined digits
> at finite places.

Then your definition is flawed in one more way, and totally useless.

One cannot have an antidiagonal of a list in which the elements are not
all sequnces of the same type, and here, LO is not of the same type as
A0 or A1 or A2 or any An.

> > You can't
> > even form the anti-diagonal of that - what would the first digit of the
> > antidiagonal be?

> What would the last digit of a normal Cantor-diagonal?

In order to define a "Cantor antidiagonal' for a set of sequences, S,
one must first have a bijection f:N -> S. WM has not made clear that he
even has such a bijection, much less what it is like.

> Why should the
> first digit be more important than the last one?

Why claim there is a "last one" when infinite sequences of digits don't
have any "last ones"?

> An infinite sequence
> of digits (that is not converging and not defined by a finite formula,
> like Cantor's diagonal sequence) is as undefined when the last digit
> is missing as it is when the first digit is missing.

I think WM's first digit is missing!
The whole point of an infinite sequence is that there isn't any such
thing as a "last"term.

So any demand for one marks the demander as muddled.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb