Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
> On 22 Jun., 23:21, "Mike Terry"
> <news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>

> > > To spell it out clearly: The set of all diagonals (including or
> > > exluding all rationals - that does not matter)
> > > {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> > > that are constrcuted according to my prescription cannot be listed
> > > although it is countable.

> > Yes, that's clear, thanks!

> Youe welcome.

> > But of course the set can be listed:
> >
> > Â Â (A0, L0(0), A1, L0(1), A2, L0(2), A3, L0(3), ...)
> >
> > and the set is countable.

> a) Does this list contain the anti-diagonal of
> (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0)?

This is not a list of numbers. L0 is not a number, it is a list.

Therefore (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0) does not have an anti-diagonal.

> Then Cantor's argument fails as a list contains its antidiagonal.
> Reason: you list in your listing above only the lines of lists. That
> is so because the antidiagonal of every list Ln belongs to another
> list L(n+1)).
>
> b) Does it not? Then a list can not list all anti-diagonals that
> belong to the countabe set constructed in my argument.
>

> > > If we use Cantor's definiton of "countable", then the set
> > > {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> > > is uncountable.

> > Cantor's definition of countable is that there is an injection from the

set
> > to N (set of natural numbers).
> >
> > E.g.:
> > Â Â A0 Â Â ---> Â Â 1
> > Â Â L0(0) Â ---> Â Â 2
> > Â Â A1 Â Â ---> Â Â 3
> > Â Â L0(1) Â ---> Â Â 4
> > Â Â A2 Â Â ---> Â Â 5
> > Â Â L0(2) Â ---> Â Â 6
> > Â Â ...
> >
> > Right?

> No. See above.
> Another example ist the set of all definable reals. There is no
> bijection with |N. But they belong to a countable set of all finite
> words.
>

> > > If we use the definition that a subset of a countable set is
> > > countable, then the set
> > > {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> > > is countable.

> > That's not a definition, it's a theorem.

> That may be a theorem in ZFC. In mathematics a subset cannot have a
> larger cardinality than its superset.

> > > The set
> > > {..., An, ...A0, L0(0), L0(1), ...L0(n),...}
> > > cannot be listed.

> > Obviously it can. Â (I'm completely missing why you could possibly be
> > thinking it couldn't)

> You will understand if you try to answer question a) above.

> > > No it is not. If there exists a Cantor-list, i.e., that what Cantor
> > > really understood by the term list, then it is a list of *defined*
> > > reals. And then its anti-diagonal is a defined real too. Then exists a
> > > countable set M, namely the set of all defined reals, that is
> > > countable. Nevertheless it cannot be listed.

> > I don't believe that was Cantor's definition of list. Â (But I'm

prepared to
> > be persuaded if you've got some references for this?)
>
> If you understand enouf´gh German, then you might look here:
>
> 1906, 8. Aug. letter Cantor to Hilbert
> Lieber Freund
> König will zwei Arten von reellen Zahlen unterscheiden; solche, die
> „endliche Definitionen" zulassen und solche, die „unendliche
> Definitionen" erfordern.
> Eine jede Definition ist aber ihrem Wesen nach eine endliche, d. h.
> sie erklärt den zu bestimmenden Begriff durch eine endliche Anzahl
> bereits bekannter Begriffe
> B1, B2, B3, ...,Bn.
> „Unendliche Definitionen" (die nicht in endlicher Zeit verlaufen) sind
> Undinge.
> Wäre Königs Satz, daß alle „endlich definirbaren" reellen Zahlen

einen
> Inbegriff von der Mächtigkeit 0 ausmachen, richtig, so hieße dies,
> das ganze Zahlencontinuum sei abzählbar, was doch sicherlich falsch
> ist.

I will have a go at that, but I only did "O-level" German 30 or so years
ago, so I'm not sure how I'll get on...
(Thanks anyway)

> Essential: Infinite definitions, are nonsense. If there were only
> alef_0 definable reals, then the continuum was countable.
>
> So Cantor clearly states, that undefinable reals are nonsense. And of
> course he is right. A number must be in trichotmy with others.
> Otherwise it is not a number. The idea of undefinable numbers was
> created in order to save set theory, just as some fools now claim
> uncountably many languages in order to invalidate my list of all words
> in all languages.
>
> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules