Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Sylvia Else

On 23/06/2010 8:44 PM, WM wrote:
> On 23 Jun., 06:47, Sylvia Else<syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:
>

>> Rather than argue that VMs proposition fails on that point, I wanted to
>> address the flaw, in order to find a more substantial objection.

> My initials ar WM.
>
> There is no flaw in the argument: Your bijection either contains all
> constructed antidiagonals. Then a list contains also its antidiagonal,
> because every list has an antidiagonal and your bijection (that is
> only a permutation of my list) contains all lines and antidiagonals.
> I.e., there is no missing antidiagonal of a "limit" list outside of
> the bijection.
>
> Or there is a last diagonal of the limit list that does not belong to
> your bijection (and to my list). Then there is a countable set (the
> set that includes this last diagonal) that is not listable.
>
> Think over that only a little bit. It is not difficult to understand.
>
> Regrads, WM

Thing is, I just cannot see that you've constructed a countable set that
should contain its own anti-diagonal when expressed as a list. All
you've done is construct a countable set of countable sets, each of
which contains the anti-diagonals of its predecessors, but none of which
by construction can be expected to contain its own anti-diagonal.

You've then claimed, but without any kind of formal argument, that if
you take this to the limit, the result is a countable set that should
contain its own anti-diagonal when expressed as a list.

As proofs go, it's rather underwhelming.

Sylvia.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie