Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de

On 24 Jun., 02:39, Sylvia Else <syl...@not.here.invalid> wrote:
> On 23/06/2010 8:44 PM, WM wrote:
>

> > On 23 Jun., 06:47, Sylvia Else<syl...@not.here.invalid>  wrote:
>
> >> Rather than argue that VMs proposition fails on that point, I wanted to
> >> address the flaw, in order to find a more substantial objection.

> > My initials ar WM.
>
> > There is no flaw in the argument: Your bijection either contains all
> > constructed antidiagonals. Then a list contains also its antidiagonal,
> > because every list has an antidiagonal and your bijection (that is
> > only a permutation of my list) contains all lines and antidiagonals.
> > I.e., there is no missing antidiagonal of a "limit" list outside of
> > the bijection.

> > Or there is a last diagonal of the limit list that does not belong to
> > your bijection (and to my list). Then there is a countable set (the
> > set that includes this last diagonal) that is not listable.

> > Think over that only a little bit. It is not difficult to understand.
>
> > Regrads, WM
>
> Thing is, I just cannot see that you've constructed a countable set that
> should contain its own anti-diagonal when expressed as a list.

When it does not contain it, then the antidiagonal is not listed. That
is all.

> All
> you've done is construct a countable set of countable sets, each of
> which contains the anti-diagonals of its predecessors, but none of which
> by construction can be expected to contain its own anti-diagonal.

That is why I did it. The set of elements of L0 and antidiagonals A0,
A1, ... is countable, but cannot be listed.

> You've then claimed, but without any kind of formal argument, that if
> you take this to the limit,

Why should there be a limit? Why should I agrre to take this to a
limit? There is no limit in n. Every one is followed by another one.

> the result is a countable set that should
> contain its own anti-diagonal when expressed as a list.

Then Cantor's argument would fail. There are no other escapes: Either
there is some list that contains its antidiagonal or there is no list
that contains it.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules