Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<09e3f5b1-ae8f-4ec9-8f77-278914d90053@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> On 24 Jun., 11:04, Virgil <Vir...@home.esc> wrote:
>

> > > Thise prodedure is abbreviated by
> > > (..., An, ... A2, A1, A0, L0)
> > > but of course there cannot appear at any stage a list without first
> > > line.

> > But that list can be rearranged into a more standard form, for example
> > with the An and the members of L0 listed alternatingly, and from such a
> > rearrangement a non-member anti-diagonal can be constructed.

> What should that be good for? The countable set under investigation
> contains the antidiagonal of the arragement that I prescribed.

The "arrangement" you prescribe does not suport antidiagonal
construction without rearrangement into standard list form.

You claim a function from N to R (the reals) or B (the set of endless
binary sequences) which contains its own antidiagonal. Nonsense!
Cantor proved no such containment possible, and nothng WM has done has
shown that proof flawed.

> Your arguing reminds of another argument: I can eat cherries,
> therefore the list is neither complete nor incomplete.

That certainly reminds me of many of WM's arguments.

> I for my person would not accept that. Perhaps set theorists have
> another taste.

Mathematicians accept that in certain set theories there re uncountable
sets.

> > > It is as simple as that.
> >
> > > It is not a big deal. Set theory shows many contradictions arising
> > > from the idea, that from "every n in N can be constructed" it is
> > > implied that "N can be constructed".

> > In, for example, FOL+ZFC, there is no assumption that every n in N "can
> > be constructed". What is assumed is that there exists a set, along with
> > all its elements, having the properties that we want for N and its
> > elements , which we then call N.

> And being ready to be used for the construction of a bijection.

Such bijections from to suitable other sets can often be "constructed",
though the more common term is "defined".

> >  This is wrong, because for every
> >

> > > n, there is an infinite set of unconstructed elements of N.
> >
> > But we do not "construct" any of them. Though we do construct various
> > naming conventions for elements of N.

> Bijections from M to N are constructed. Sequences (having natural
> indices) are constructed. Many constructivists do not believe in
> uncountability but in N because N can be constructed.

If your "constructed" means "defined" then yes.

But in the Cantor theorem, the "antidiagonal" is defined (but not
necessarily constructed) and since it defines a binary sequence not
listed in the list from which it is defined, it shows that no list can
include all such binary sequences, QED.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie