Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

"WM" <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote in message
> On 24 Jun., 21:26, "Mike Terry"
> <news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:
>

> There is a starting list L0 and many following lists. During
> construction step n+1 the list is
>
> An
> L0
>
> and has an antidiagonal.
>
> The antidiagonals of all these lists are countable but canot be
> written in form of a list (it does not matter if in a separate list or
> in a list with spaces or else), because, if written in form of some
> list, they would yield an antidiagonal that was not in the list.

OK finally I am certain of what you are saying.

The "antidiagonals of all these lists" is A0, A1, A2, A3, ...

Now let me see how I might construct a list which covers all those
anti-diagonals. OK, I've thought of one! My list is:

L = (A0, A1, A2, A3, ...)

OK, I've done what you said couldn't be done. Let's look at why you thought
it couldn't be done - perhaps there's a mistake there?

You said that L (as I've defined) has an antidiagonal that's not in the
list!

I agree that L has an antidiagonal that's not in L. That's normal for
antidiagonals, but I don't see why you think that's a problem.

IOW we've finally got to the point:

- WM has constructed a countable set of antidiagonals A0, A1, A2, A3...

Define L = the list (A0, A1, A2, A3,...)

- WM claims that AntiDiag (L) is not in L, therefore L does not exist.

- MT points out that L does exist and agrees AntiDiag(L) is not in L, but
points out this is not a problem. (AntiDiags are never in their input
lists, so why would anyone think it would be a problem?)

> Hence
> all antidiagonals of this process, though countable, cannot be written
> in a list.

Of course they can - you've not shown any problem yet.

Why do you think Antidiag(L) not being in L means that L doesn't exist?

> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie