Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Mike Terry

> > > On 24 Jun., 21:26, "Mike Terry"
> > > <news.dead.person.sto...@darjeeling.plus.com> wrote:

> > > There is a starting list L0 and many following lists. During
> > > construction step n+1 the list is

> > > An
> > > L0

> > > and has an antidiagonal.
> >
> > > The antidiagonals of all these lists are countable but canot be
> > > written in form of a list (it does not matter if in a separate list or
> > > in a list with spaces or else), because, if written in form of some
> > > list, they would yield an antidiagonal that was not in the list.

> > OK finally I am certain of what you are saying.
> >
> > The "antidiagonals of all these lists" is A0, A1, A2, A3, ...
> >
> > Now let me see how I might construct a list which covers all those
> > anti-diagonals. OK, I've thought of one! My list is:
> >
> > L = (A0, A1, A2, A3, ...)
> >
> > OK, I've done what you said couldn't be done. Let's look at why you

thought
> > it couldn't be done - perhaps there's a mistake there?
>

> Please let me know: Does the list conssisting of A0, A1, A2, A3, ...
> contain its antidiagonal or not?

No, of course not.

> > You said that L (as I've defined) has an antidiagonal that's not in the
> > list!
> >
> > I agree that L has an antidiagonal that's not in L. That's normal for
> > antidiagonals, but I don't see why you think that's a problem.
> >
> > IOW we've finally got to the point:
> >
> > - WM has constructed a countable set of antidiagonals A0, A1, A2, A3...
> >
> > Define L = the list (A0, A1, A2, A3,...)
> >
> > - WM claims that AntiDiag (L) is not in L, therefore L does not exist.
> >
> > - MT points out that L does exist and agrees AntiDiag(L) is not in L,

but
> > points out this is not a problem. (AntiDiags are never in their input
> > lists, so why would anyone think it would be a problem?)

> That is not a problem. It shows however, that there are countable sets
> that cannot be listed.

How exactly does it show that there are countable sets that cannot be
listed?

> > > Hence
> > > all antidiagonals of this process, though countable, cannot be written
> > > in a list.

> > Of course they can - you've not shown any problem yet.
> >
> > Why do you think Antidiag(L) not being in L means that L doesn't exist?

> I do not think so. I said, that there are countable sets that cannot
> be listed. One is the set of all antidiagonals of my process. So
> countability and listability are not the same.

OK, but you've still not given any explanation why you think the
antidiagonals of your process cannot be listed! (I'm genuinely baffled.)

Mike.

> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules