Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Virgil

In article
<3ef6da97-a35e-445a-9d62-b4df42474711@c10g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
WM <mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Please let me know: Does the list conssisting of A0, A1, A2, A3, ...
> contain its antidiagonal or not?

Not!

> > You said that L (as I've defined) has an antidiagonal that's not in the
> > list!
> >
> > I agree that L has an antidiagonal that's not in L.  That's normal for
> > antidiagonals, but I don't see why you think that's a problem.
> >
> > IOW we've finally got to the point:
> >
> > - WM has constructed a countable set of antidiagonals A0, A1, A2, A3...
> >
> > Define L = the list (A0, A1, A2, A3,...)
> >
> > - WM claims that AntiDiag (L) is not in L, therefore L does not exist.
> >
> > - MT points out that L does exist and agrees AntiDiag(L) is not in L, but
> > points out this is not a problem.  (AntiDiags are never in their input
> > lists, so why would anyone think it would be a problem?)

> That is not a problem. It shows however, that there are countable sets
> that cannot be listed.

How does it do that? WHICH countable set does WM claim cannot be listed?

By designating a set as countable one guarantees it to be listable, at
least for standard definitions of countable and listable.

I have several times asked WM for the distinction that he claims exists
between countable and listable, but he has yet to explain that
difference to anyone's satisfaction but his own.

> > > Hence
> > > all antidiagonals of this process, though countable, cannot be written
> > > in a list.

> > Of course they can - you've not shown any problem yet.
> >
> > Why do you think  Antidiag(L) not being in L means that L doesn't exist?

> I do not think so. I said, that there are countable sets that cannot
> be listed. One is the set of all antidiagonals of my process. So
> countability and listability are not the same.

The claim that the set of all antidiagonals to WM's process cannot be
listed has been disproved by constructing a rule for listing that set.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb