Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Newberry

On Jun 25, 7:24 am, "Jesse F. Hughes" <je...@phiwumbda.org> wrote:
> Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> writes:

> >> No, it's not.
>
> > I asked for a counterexample, to no avail.  Don't you think you should
> > substantiate your statement or retract it?

> > Each Turing Machine represents some computable real (all computable
> > reals are included) and you can list those Turing Machines.  The
> > Turing Machine represents it as well as any other system of
> > representation.

> It is not the case that every TM represents some computable real.
>
> Example 1: The TM that never halts and never changes the tape does not
> represent a computable real.
>
> Example 2: The TM that repeatedly changes the value in one cell, never
> halting, does not represent a computable real.

If the Turing machine is hacked such that it outputs a digit on any
state transition does it not represent a real?

The digits of pi, e, sqrt(2) etc. can be generated by an algorithm. We
can certainly list such algorithms suitably defined.

> Other than that, of course, your response was mighty insightful.
> --
> Jesse F. Hughes
> "I just define real numbers to be all those on the number line, as
> they were defined before Dedekind and Cauchy."
>                           -- Ross Finlayson's simple definition.- Hide quoted text -

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb