The Math Forum

Replies: 204   Last Post: Jul 13, 2010 11:11 AM

Koobee Wublee

On Jun 25, 9:41 pm, Tom Roberts wrote:

> Yes. This is just one of the theories that are equivalent to SR (i.e. they are
> experimentally indistinguishable from SR).

Don't hide behind interpretations of mathematical models. There are
Larmor's and the Lorentz transforms. See:

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/9886f187e761954c?hl=en

And

http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/c5a0a3c587fd4df4?hl=en

Larmor's transform does not satisfy the principle of relativity while
the Lorentz transform does, but only Larmor's transform satisfies the
null results of the MMX while the Lorentz transform is a special case
to Larmor's transform. <shrgu>

> This is one way of deriving the
> equations of LET (Lorentz Ether Theory). Lorentz used a completely different
> method in his 1904 paper.

Nonsense! You cannot derive anything with convoluted logics. <shrug>

> There is a much larger class of theories equivalent to SR, consisting of all
> theories in which these two criteria apply:
> a) the round-trip speed of light is isotropically c in any inertial
> frame

This requires Voigt's postulate. <shrug>

> and
> b) the one-way speed of light is isotropically c in one frame

This has never shown so by any experimentations. <shrug>

> Note that (a) is solidly established experimentally,

Not quite! Through interpretations to experimental results. <shrug>

> and (b) is basically what
> it means to have an aether frame, or any sort of "preferred" frame.
>
> If you work out the details, you find that all of these theories
> have transforms between inertial frames that differ from the
> Lorentz transform only in the way coordinate clocks are
> synchronized in inertial frames. Note that except for SR and
> LET, the synchronization method is ad hoc and artificial.

Mysticism is making you ever so confused. <shrug>

> I posted a much longer series of three articles on this 'way back in 1999 --
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/15ceaad17be...

You have not learnt anything in the past 9 years. There is a
difference between Larmor's and the Lorentz transforms. <shrug>

Date Subject Author
Koobee Wublee
Koobee Wublee
Peter Webb