Replies: 658   Last Post: Feb 17, 2013 10:15 AM

Newberry

On Jun 26, 8:19 pm, Tim Little <t...@little-possums.net> wrote:
> On 2010-06-26, Charlie-Boo <shymath...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > It is trivial to calculate in binary (using only 0 and 1) and output
> > any desired string surrounded by 2 whenever we want

> You use the singular here, by which your statement is correct.  Any
> single finite string can be so produced.  What's more, any finite
> sequence of finite strings can be produced.
>
> However, you need an infinite sequence of finite strings to define
> most real numbers, and there are not enough finite algorithms to
> produce them all.
>
> - Tim

If I understand Charlie's definition correctly some of the machines
will keep outputing digits forever. That is what I meant when when i
said that pi and e are generated by an algorithm. There are enough
algorithms to produce all the compressible infinite strings.

Date Subject Author
|-|ercules
jaimie
Peter Webb